Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Michigan Quilt Barns!

So... when I left you last, I was on a Shop Hop and overheard something that put me back on the road for a new adventure! Just as I began looking at the next shop, I overheard one employee telling another that she didn't know there were Quilt Barns on the Old Mission Peninsula. Well, that's all I had to hear! So we grabbed the map and headed for the Peninsula.



I saw there was a historic lighthouse at the point so we went there first. Fascinating! They were out of brochures telling us where the barns were, so we decided to wing it. I think we found about half of them, but it's a good representation for you to see. I absolutely loved every one of these! Some of the pics are not great due to the angle of the sun, etc. (and most probably the picture taker and her $40 camera), but you'll get the idea.











This last one (my favorite) was at an Antique Store which of course, I had to check out. Did a little bit of damage to my cash flow, yessiree!





While we were driving around, I saw a strange looking bird in the middle of the road. I told Bill to get closer and look what we saw!


I was hoping he'd open his tail, but no such luck...

The Old Mission Peninsula is very agricultural and we saw lots of wineries and produce stands. They are famous for their Northern Michingan cherries and when Bill wondered if this next picture depicted an applique block, I knew it was time to leave. So we leisurely drove back to Petoskey with lots of great images in our minds for the day.

I've got some more fun things to show you on this trip. Until next time....

Blessings~

5 comments:

Mary said...

Don't you just love Michigan. I arrived home yesturday from the Upper Pensinsula. We spent a week with friends in Garden Michigan. Pat and I quilted all week. It was great fun and beautiful up there. No quilt barns, but did get to a shop in Escanaba. I used to live in Flushing, Michigan. We love going there.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love quilt barns. I just did a post on a recent visit to see the quilt barns in Athens County, Ohio.

Unknown said...

How wonderful!! I am just in awe of these barns. Stephanie did a recent post on the same thing and it makes me want to go seek them out! And how cool to see a beautiful peacock crossing the road at the end!

Truffle queen said...

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! You missed the cherry harvest time - but did you get in on the blueberries?

Valerie said...

What a fun trip! I've heard Michgan is beautiful and would like to go someday.